Aug 23, 2005

Tarzhay Takes Manhattan



Target Corporation resurrected a vintage ad tactic by doing a $1 million ad buy in the August issue of the New Yorker. In this issue, every single ad in the magazine sports Target's bullseye logo. I didn't know that people who read the New Yorker were Target's demographic, but hell, there's a lot I don't know. Anyway, here's an example of one of the ads:





I gotta say, that's just cool. And lately, I've been on this Target kick. Like, I can't get enough of that store.

And this trend is catching on. Coke recently bought up all the slots for several weeks on Jack FM in L.A., and ran brief commercials for Coke Zero and Minute Maid Fruit Punch.

Courtesy of AdAge.

4 comments:

revidescent said...

That is one cool ad!

Seen this?

Donations to governor earn Target a boycott

A California consumer group is telling seniors not to shop at Target stores because of the more than $300,000 the retailer has given to Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger...

Target also spent $250,000 to back a referendum that erased a law that would have required many California businesses to provide health care for their workers...


But there are some allegations against the group that haven't been explained either. I dunno, something to consider.

Buy Blue doesn't have much nice to say about Target.

Mags said...

Godammit. That just breaks my heart. I'm telling you. I can't get enough of that store these days. I am loving me some Target.

Unknown said...

I love Target too! Since there's no store in Manhattan, every Christmas, Target sets up a mini store somewhere in the city. One year, it was on a boat and you could see Target employees dressed up in sailor outfits running around the city and another year, it was in the middle of Rockefeller center - the theme that year was pink so everything they sold was pink.

Stephen Green said...

I seem to have some kind of mental filter that just blocks out ads altogether. After reading your post I thumbed through my issue that I had just finished reading and I'll be damned if it wasn't chock full of Target ads. Somehow I missed them completely the first time through. There were two that I had noticed, but failed to recognize as ads, let alone as having anything to do with Target.