But, what the hell. Here's a list of thoughts that ran though my mind while watching the media coverage. Brutal and honest. Thoughts, not proven truths. May not be popular among the rah-rah jingoistic set, but here goes:
- I can see how they want to draw the parallel between this and the Thai tsunami, but quite frankly, these people had ample warning the storm was coming. The tsunami victims didn't. So basically, the casualties resulting from Katrina are socioeconomic. Richer people who had the money to flee, did. Poorer people didn't. Everyone in that area is paying a price; some more than others.
- Stupid Iraq war. Now we don't have enough manpower on the ground to help rescue trapped folks. Or the looters. And when you have looters, you have anarchy, by god.
- Looting. So the fuck what. Get me a Snapple.
- So how many Neocons were affected by this?
- What are those levees made out of? Sandbags? Dirt? Can't they bust out with some concrete structure or something?
- There's gotta be at least one non-black looter out there. Show yourself to the media cameras, babe.
- There goes my plans for a Nawlins trip next year.
- I never want to live in Hurricane Country. Ever.
In all seriousness, my heart goes out to all those who lost family members, pets, and property during the hurricane. Here's to getting back on your feet as soon as possible.