Aug 31, 2005

Somebody get me a Snapple

I wasn't planning on commenting on Hurricane Katrina (which, quite frankly cracks me up every time I see that on the news because my cousin's name is Katrina) and the devastation wrought on the South.

But, what the hell. Here's a list of thoughts that ran though my mind while watching the media coverage. Brutal and honest. Thoughts, not proven truths. May not be popular among the rah-rah jingoistic set, but here goes:
  1. I can see how they want to draw the parallel between this and the Thai tsunami, but quite frankly, these people had ample warning the storm was coming. The tsunami victims didn't. So basically, the casualties resulting from Katrina are socioeconomic. Richer people who had the money to flee, did. Poorer people didn't. Everyone in that area is paying a price; some more than others.
  2. Stupid Iraq war. Now we don't have enough manpower on the ground to help rescue trapped folks. Or the looters. And when you have looters, you have anarchy, by god.
  3. Looting. So the fuck what. Get me a Snapple.
  4. So how many Neocons were affected by this?
  5. What are those levees made out of? Sandbags? Dirt? Can't they bust out with some concrete structure or something?
  6. There's gotta be at least one non-black looter out there. Show yourself to the media cameras, babe.
  7. There goes my plans for a Nawlins trip next year.
  8. I never want to live in Hurricane Country. Ever.

In all seriousness, my heart goes out to all those who lost family members, pets, and property during the hurricane. Here's to getting back on your feet as soon as possible.

3 comments:

Stephen Green said...

I was talking last night to a friend who is stil planning to go to New Orleans at the end of October, convinced that they'll be able to come out of this and have service ready for the tourists in eight weeks. I don't think people understand the totality of the devastation here. An apt comparison I've seen is to the 1906 San Francisco earthquake and fire. This may be even worse than that, though. Once the ground stopped shaking and the fires stopped burning then, though, rebuilding could begin. We cant' even stop the water from flowing into New Orleans now and we don't know what to do with the toxic soup that is collecting there once we do get the inflow under control. This is a whole new order of fucked up.

Adobo said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Adobo said...

Ain't dat da truth Mags! Lets hope they get back on their feet soon! Where will this world be without Mardi Gras, beignets, and Hurricanes (drinks). Our thoughts go out to the people. I also wanted to devote a sentence on this comment. More than 960 Shiite pilgrims in Baghdad died in a stampede today. There- I did my part, since I know the networks probably devoted hardly any airtime of it.