Aug 27, 2005

A Day at the Zoo

So London Zoo is currently displaying eight men and women as part if their primate exhibit. Many Londoners are taking in the sights with a good sense of humor:

Pointing at one heavy muscled and gleaming body on the ledge, one visitor joked that the zoo should consider a breeding program.

"You can tell why some people came here, like the big muscly men who clearly like parading around in thongs,'' said Damien Largey, 23.

However, the larger meaning behind the exhibit is to show that we humans, or rather, homo sapiens, are just a small part of a larger world.

Tom Mahoney, 26, decided to participate after his friend sent him an e-mail about the contest as a joke. Anything that draws attention to apes, he said, has his support.

"A lot of people think humans are above other animals,'' he told The Associated Press. "When they see humans as animals, here, it kind of reminds us that we're not that special.''

I think the real point here is that we homo sapiens are special, but that doesn't mean we're entitled to ruin this planet. We share it - we don't own it.

I don't know if you can see this on the link, but AOL took an informal poll to ask its members if this "human exhibit" was something they'd actually go to see. I voted "yes," but was surprised to see that, at the time I voted, 52% voted "no."

I swear, AOL is filled with some no-sense-of-humor-havin' mafakas.

2 comments:

Ang said...

I have to disagree on the special part. We aren't any more special than any other on the planet. Just like the animals and plants, years from now we'll be dead too.

Yeah I know, I'm a bit morbid.

Not sure I would go visit the exhibit myself. Not that I don't have a sense of humor, just that I'm into cats. Not monkeys. :)

Gammys Perspective said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.