May 25, 2005

Please tell me I'm dreaming.

Democrats clear way for Senate vote on Bolton

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democrats agreed on Tuesday to clear the way for the Senate to vote on the controversial nomination of John Bolton as the next U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, which was expected to pass mainly on party lines.

The Senate is to open debate on Wednesday on Bolton, the top U.S. diplomat for arms control and outspoken critic of the United Nations, who has been described by President Bush as the right man to press for reforms at the world body.

Okay. I understand the Democrats are going to allow the confirmation to go to a vote. And maybe I'm not understanding something here. But basically, and I've said before, that Bolton's going to get the job. I'm still hoping the opposite will happen, but really - will it?

Doubtful.

No comments: