May 2, 2005

... And all was right with the world.

The Geek Squad finally got things right and got me my laptop back. Those spyware problems from way back finally got the best of my trusty ol' HP.

Anyway. I really have no energy to write about anything. I'm just relieved that the laptop is back home. And yet I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed now, because I have to get my hands on a copy of MS Office, because those damn GS folks didn't put it back on. Got a new hard drive and everything, which means losing all my photos, all my writing samples, all versions of my resume and cover/networking letters.

Hope y'all had a great weekend. I did.

3 comments:

ADAMANT said...

Sounds like you had a blast!

Ray in LA said...

Don't use Internet Explorer, if you are. Check out Opera or Mozilla Firefox... Way better browsers because they're more secure and are less vulnerable to viruses and spyware infestations.

Also, don't run your computer (if you're using Windows XP) with an Administrator level user account. Set up a Limited user account in the Control Panel that way you're less likely to have viruses and spyware installed.

Finally, use a firewall (e.g. ZoneAlarm) to protect your computer as well as an up-to-date virus program. AVG antivirus is free and is also one of the best out there. For spyware protection, there's AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy. To do an effective scan for viruses and spyware, boot your computer into Safe Mode (usually by pressing F8 during boot up) and then run the programs.

As for MS Office, check out OpenOffice.org's office suite. Pretty much the same thing as MS Office, but it's Open Source and free.

Mags said...

Adam: I did, but I won't go into detail. Heh.

Blah: Thank you SO much for those suggestions. I didn't even know about the Limited User setting, nor did I know about OpenOffice.org. Thanks!