Nov 23, 2005

Giving Thanks







Another year, another Thanksgiving. The older I get, the more I start to realize - and appreciate - the meaning behind the tradition. And at Thanksgiving, I like to reflect on all of the good things happening in my life that I have to be thankful for.

And I've come to realize that I am one pensive mafaka when the holidays start to roll around. I thought it'd be a good idea to put pen to paper (or in this case, finger to keyboard) and list the things I'm grateful for.

I'm grateful that I'm able to laugh and smile every day. I have a friend that makes that her daily goal. Sounded like a good one to me, so I borrowed it.

I'm grateful that my parents are healthy and that as a unit, we've been able to face life's challenges head on - and win.

I'm grateful that I have a spectacular circle of friends that support me when I need their help and bring me back down to earth when my ego is out of control. Or if I freak out over a miniscule detail. Which happens a lot. Just ask any of them.

I'm grateful that I've managed to remain an optimist, even though certain life experiences (family, life in general, my non-existent lovelife, work, the Bush Administration, the mental image of Karl Rove naked, etc.) would cause others to become cynical and jaded (or disgusted, as in the latter example). I'm not saying I'm a Stepford Wife, but cynicism and sarcasm, tempered with an unending desire to see the good in things and people is healthy.

I'm grateful that I've learned a lot about my own personal character this year, and I'm very proud of the adult I've become. [Next up: Get better at this "hiking" thing!]

And I'm also grateful for you, Dear Reader, for visiting me here at my humble blog day in and day out. All 35-60 of you. Especially those of you who surf in from Poland, who expect to find some serious and informative website about your country. And you too, you folks still trying to find out about that Damien Marley jam. Heh. Keeping up this blog (and the several others I contribute to) has really inspired me to get myself better informed, and to try and make a change in the world I live in, any way I can. I at least hope that I've been able to inform you, or inspire you to think about a topic from a different angle.

But most importantly, I hope I've been able to make you laugh. Because I can be one silly mafaka, that's right. Ask anyone.

1 comment:

My Daily Struggles said...

No, I didn't forget Poland!