Apr 1, 2005

Big Brother's Watching

The tradition of secrecy and personal censorship of this administration began soon after the 9/11 attacks. Then-White House Press Secretary Ari Fleisher said it best, after a response to a question asked about the president's reaction to a comment that Bill Maher made. Here's a bit of a press briefing dated Sept. 26.

Q: As Commander-In-Chief, what was the President's reaction to television's Bill Maher, in his announcement that members of our Armed Forces who deal with missiles are cowards, while the armed terrorists who killed 6,000 unarmed are not cowards, for which Maher was briefly moved off a Washington television station

MR. FLEISCHER: I have not discussed it with the President, one. I have --

Q: Surely, as a --

MR. FLEISCHER: I'm getting there.

Q Surely as Commander, he was enraged at that, wasn't he?

MR. FLEISCHER: I'm getting there, Les.

Q: Okay.

MR. FLEISCHER: I'm aware of the press reports about what he said. I have not seen the actual transcript of the show itself. But assuming the press reports are right, it's a terrible thing to say, and it unfortunate. And that's why -- there was an earlier question about has the President said anything to people in his own party -- they're reminders to all Americans that they need to watch what they say, watch what they do. This is not a time for remarks like that; there never is. (emphasis mine.)

I hope the real reason why Fleischer quit was because he was sick and tired of lying for this administration day in and day out.

By the way, did anyone catch the Air America documentary on HBO last night? It was somewhat inspiring. Let's discuss. Leave me a comment or twelve.

2 comments:

OldHorsetailSnake said...

Uh, Mags, uh, what's a "radio"?

(I hope the suckers succeed.)

Agi said...

I tivo-ed the HBO documentary. I saw the ending where they were all depressed that Bush won, but I plan on watching it this weekend.

Love that pic of Bush and Saddam. That's what Saddam gets for tryin' to kill Dubya's daddy. Justice, Texas style!