Apr 20, 2005

Bendy like a stick

I've restarted my yoga practice after a year hiatus. I'm three days into it, and I finally am at the point where I don't feel like my heart is going to explode out of my chest. Which is a good thing.

The style of yoga I practice - Bikram yoga - is also known as that "hot" yoga. It's a series of 26 postures, or asanas, conducted in the same order, every single time. The room is heated, anywhere from 95 degrees and up. Yesterday, the day that will go down in history as "the worst yoga day ever," the room was at 100 degrees at the first 10 minutes into the class. And there were about 23+ people in the tiny room, which adds to the claustrophobia and the whole "you're stealing my air" vibe.

Think what you want, but it's great exercise. Grueling, even. And I have some crazy thing going on with my hip right now, so this is pretty much all I can handle.

I hope I can stick with it. Back when I had a regular practice, I was going every day. And willingly. I would get up early ON THE WEEKEND to practice. Now that's love.

If you're interested in giving Bikram yoga a try, but have been too scared to, get over the fear and just go. I guarantee you'll love it, but I won't lie - the first class is a bitch to get through all 90 minutes. If you live in the Bay Area, shoot me an email. Maybe I'll come along for moral support.

Namaste.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I might just take you up on that offer, girly girl.

Anonymous said...

I guess its times like these when Im grateful I cant Yoga [can I use that noun as a verb? I hear its the thing to do these days]. Anyways, were was I? Oh yes, did you know that Bikram Yoga and underwear are the two most common causes of claustrophobia in our nation? Im not into either!