Aug 29, 2006

I love whiskey tastings. And goofy pictures.



My favorites from that night:
  • Woodford Reserve - Butterscotch Lifesaver aroma. Bright and lively.
  • Elijah Craig - Smooth, velvety mouthfeel with a sweet, toffee-like finish.
  • Pappy Van Winkle - Funky, dried fruit; overripe banana aromas with a sweet, tobacco finish. Plus, how could you not love something called "Pappy Van Winkle"?
  • A.H. Hirsch Reserve - Mmm. Buttery. The empty class smelled like chocolate mint. Good luck getting your hands on some of this, as the distillery closed in 1988.
We tried many others that night, including SF's own Old Potrero, whose aroma reminded us of Fig Newtons, but in a good way. Yum. Distilled by the folks at Anchor Steam. I'd go into more detail, but I'm having a hard time reading my tasting notes.

(Photo credit: Chloemonster.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've only recently gotten into whiskeys and scotch (scotch scotch scotch, i love scotch). Only the basics though, Johnnie Walker (Gold & Blue labels are my favorite), Crown Royal, Jack Daniels Single Barrel....

but these sound different and yummy! How do I get thine own self to a whiskey tasting?

Oh, I did go to a Johnnie Walker taste test once... good times.

Anonymous said...

That looked like fun! Next time, let me know -- yummy!