Jan 9, 2006

You get what you pay for, I guess.

Jack London Square residents are complaining about the dearth of construction going around in their neighborhood.
All the construction is driving residents crazy — not because they oppose new development but because it is happening all at once, and construction crews do not always adhere to the rules regarding work hours and parking of construction vehicles.

"I think that most of the residents are sort of willing to put up with it because we've been waiting for the area to be developed, but you wonder how much you have to choke down at one time," said Kathy Lemmon, a freelance copywriter who has lived in a low-rise loft development on Fourth Street for eight years.
This reminds me of the complaints many years ago from residents in SF's SoMa district complaining that the nightly crowds from the neighborhood's bars and clubs were disruptive and noisy and just needed to be stopped.

Living smack dab in these kinds of neighborhoods, you've got to know what you're getting into. And yes, it's annoying and loud, but my message to these folks is twofold:
1) You should have known about the construction and expected it to be like it is.
2) Be patient. You'll more than double your investment once the construction is all done, I'm sure.

So cool it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to live across from a construction site. It's really unpleasant. Most regions have laws about work hours, but they're not always enforced. The number of times that they started jackhammering at 5am the Friday before a long holiday weekend...ugh.

By the way, "dearth" means "lack." I think you meant to use a different word. But not "utilize." :)

Mags said...

Dammit, I hate when I screw up the vocab.