Dec 25, 2005

Who me? Middle Aged?




Today's my birthday. No, really.

This past year has been a year of some real positive affirmations, in terms of my relationships with my family, my friends, the work that I do, and my ever-growing awareness of things happening around me. I often joke with people about how I feel I am getting so old, but really, there is still so much for me to learn, to discover, to experience, that in some ways, I still feel like I'm just a kid.

I once read a quote attributed to Hervey Allen that goes something like this:
The only time you really live fully is from thirty to sixty. The young are slaves to dreams; the old servants of regrets. Only the middle-aged have all their five senses in the keeping of their wits.
Aside from the fact that this quote puts me in the "middle-aged" category, I think it is, for the most part, very true. And it's a good thing to know that my time of "living fully" is just at the beginning ...

Happy holidays, everyone. Here's to never being a servant to Regret.


(Note: If by looking at that picture you feel that you're experiencing deja vu, fret not. You've probably seen it here. It's the only baby picture of mine I have that's scanned. It works with this post though. Go with it.)

7 comments:

Ang said...

Happy Birthday!

Brian I said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Brian I said...

Happy Birthday! (spelled properly and all this time)

MikeJ said...

Happy Birthday! I sent you this sweet note yesterday about how I'm so grateful our paths have crossed, and all sorts of other mushy tidbits...and what do you know, the email bounced back.

That'll teach me to get all Casanova. But seriously, hope your day was great, and best wishes for this upcoming year.

Ignatius M. Dedd said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

Hey, on Dec. 25th...like that other guy, what's his name?

Anonymous said...

Many happy returns (whatever that means)!

Being middle-aged (assuming that means between 30 and 60) is not so bad. You might lose a step or two, but you gain the ability not to care about it. Focus improves to compensate for decreasing quickness...

Tamara said...

Happy Belated birthday!