Dec 5, 2005

"Hero-izing" the Duke


So because Randall "Duke" Cunningham plead guilty to accepting bribes in the area of $2.5 million, he's now all of a sudden an honorable man? From the California Conservative:

In his resignation letter, he states, “I learned in Viet Nam that the true measure of a man is how he responds to adversity. I cannot undo what I have done. But I can atone … The first step in that journey is to admit fault and apologize. The next step is to face the consequences of my actions like a man.”

He did not blame others for leading him astray; he did not quibble about the meaning of the word “is.”

Other politicians who have betrayed their trust have escaped punishment. Some are on the lecture circuit, are in demand at the highest of society circles and are considered statesmen by their party.
The Bill Clinton dig aside, I will agree that Cunningham's coming clean and facing his inevitable punishment is the right thing to do. Finally. Someone being held accountable for his actions.

I can think of a few more who should follow his lead.

(Photo credit: AP)

No comments: