Dec 23, 2005

Holiday Reflection

I've posted before about Bernie Baran, a Pittsfield, MA native who many feel is a victim of a malicious, fear-driven, homophobic witchunt.

My friend Dan, who is currently working on a film to document Baran's struggle for justice, received this email from his mother thanking people for their support. In light of the upcoming holiday, I thought this would be a great time share this letter and to reflect, through Baran's mother's words, how even the smallest of gestures can mean so much to someone else. And the closing quote by Goethe reassures us that if we continue to fight to get this great country of ours back on track, we will be successful.

Dear All Bee's Supporters;

I'm not sure where to begin as is the case every time I begin a letter like this.

We had all hoped that Bee would be home for the holidays, but we have come much closer in the past five years, because of all of you. You have taken the time to care for someone most of you have never met.

It's funny how life is -- it was over twenty years ago my heart began to see its sorrows. I stopped trusting and believing in people and now because of all the support you have shown my son, a flicker of faith has been renewed.

As the holiday season is here, I rejoice and want to thank each and everyone of you for caring and giving of yourselves. I will always be grateful and I wish you all a wonderful holiday.

I would like to leave you with a quote I believe captures the winning spirit of all of you...

"There are but two ways which lead to great aims and achievements -- energy and perseverance. Energy is a rare gift, it provokes opposition, hatred and reaction. But perseverance lies within the affordings of everyone; its power increases with its progress, and it but rarely misses its aim." -Goethe

No comments: