Jan 2, 2007

O is for Oprah

So Oprah Winfrey spent all this money to open a school in Johannesburg, South Africa to benefit young girls who wouldn't otherwise have the opportunity to get an education:
The school for underprivileged girls boasts computer and science laboratories, a library and theater, and was built as a result of a meeting between Winfrey and the country's former President, Nelson Mandela.
She's catching a lot of flack for this, people sweatin' her because she didn't open a school in the U.S. but opened one in South Africa instead. Oprah's retort is basically that the school is needed, and the children are grateful, while children in the U.S. just want the latest iPod or something.

Kudos to her. Whatever. Who's to say Oprah won't open a school in the south side of Chicago one day? Step off, man. Give her a break.

Direct your ire instead, I strongly beseech you, toward Mariah Carey, who showed up to the school-opening event wearing this getup:


Mariah, my dear. Can't you just chill for a minute with the trying-to-look-sexy-all-the-time? You're attending an event at an elementary school. For underprivileged girls. In South Africa. Peek-a-boo lace at the decolletage?

Girl, it's a little much. Seriously. There's a time and a place for The Sexy, but the last thing those girls needed to see was you in an animal print dress (interesting choice, seeing as how you were in Africa, I see how you are), with your jubblies popping out.


(Photo courtesy of Crunk + Disorderly)

6 comments:

Stephen Green said...

I generally don't have anything nice to say about Oprah or Mariah, but I really hate it when people criticize how other people direct their charitable donations, so they really need to cut the Big O some slack here.

Oh, and except maybe that it's a little too long, there's nothing wrong with Mariah's dress in that picture.

Brian I said...

RE: Mariah's dress. Well, I hear you ... but, really, why do we expect our entertainers to do anything more than entertain?

MikeJ said...

Yes, it certainly appears as if Mariah has emancipated her mimies. WTF is wrong with her.

As for Oprah...I have major mixed feelings about this. I get that it's her money, I get that "beauty inspires," as Oprah says, and that these students deserve "a place of honor." But $40 million for one school?

I think there's an argument for proportionality here. I mean, think of what she could have done by giving 5 schools $8 million. Or 8 schools $5 million. Or better yet, wouldn't it be wiser to construct 20 schools throughout South Africa, at $2 million a pop? Seems to me that $2 million could build a pretty nice school, and having more than one would seem to benefit a much larger population.

I just hope this doesn't turn into Oprah's prep school. But whatever...it's her money, I guess! I might be a little jelly of it.... :)

Polt said...

There's a fine line between "trying-to-look-sexy-all-the-time" and looking like a streetwalking whore.

Both Mariah, Christina, and lately, Britney, have taken to not only crossing over the line but seeting up residence there.

Anonymous said...

Well, girl. You know that i agree with you almost 100% of th tim, but we will have to agree to disagree this time.

Oprah lost me when she spent a million dollars on her own birthday party. I hope that you are right and that she does open a school on the South Side. Until then, we are over.

As for Mimi, she is sad and pathetic -- does she know that she is 37 and not 17? For her, this is covered.

Anonymous said...

Ah Mariah, the gift that keeps on giving!