Feb 18, 2005

You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore

It feels good to chill out at home. It's been a rough week.

My guitar instructor is starting to teach me flamenco stuff. I guess the first style I'm learning is soleares. I know there are different styles, but to be honest, I only know them by name only. I wouldn't even be able to tell you the subtleties between them. All I know is it's some badass shit.

I've basically been practicing the same 12 counts for a week now. I'm trying to execute the perfect rasgueado, in which you strum the same chord using your index, middle, ring, and pinky fingers one after the other. Pretty hard to do, but it sounds just ... cool.

You know those kids who pretty much stay in their room all day playing guitar? Those antisocial, artistic types? I think I'm becoming one of them. I've been back and forth between hospitals and work and my friend's house all week, and all I could think of the whole time (well, aside from the drama at hand, of course) was how much I couldn't wait to practice my guitar. I can hardly wait until my next lesson, I totally enjoy my weekly hour with my instructor, and I've never been so into learning a musical instrument before. And I've tried my hand at a few - piano, violin, clarinet. The artist in me is happy that I've managed to maintain my interest level so far, but the cynic in me is just waiting for the moment when I get bored.

Although, as I've mentioned before, I loves me some flamenco, so I don't see me getting bored for a long while yet. Ole!

No comments: