Dec 30, 2006

Saddam Hussein is Dead

Executed last night by hanging.


I get it that Hussein was a dispicable human being. I get that his despotic rule resulted in the deaths of hundreds of his own people. I get it. But you know how I feel about the death penalty, and there's something about Hussein's trial and subsequent execution that just does not sit right with me. Nevermind the fact that several countries (England, France, the European Union, the Vatican, for chrissakes) are criticizing the move.

And what about Dubya? Of course not. This is just business as usual for him:
Bringing Saddam Hussein to justice will not end the violence in Iraq, but it is an important milestone on Iraq’s course to becoming a democracy that can govern, sustain, and defend itself, and be an ally in the War on Terror.
Shortly after Hussein was executed, a bomb killed at leat 68 people in Iraq. See what I mean? More of the same. Will Hussein's execution help the situation in Iraq? I don't see it. What I do fear is retaliation and revenge.

Will 2007 be the Year of the Vendetta?


P.S. Tony Blair didn't offer an immediate comment to Hussein's execution because he's kickin' it in Miami visiting with one of the freakin' Bee Gees. One of the freakin' Bee Gees, bitches.



UPDATE: The Carpetbagger posts a thought-provoking reflection on Hussein's execution. Same with Joe at AMERICAblog. Windspike at Bring It On! doubts that Iraq is now better off. Good to know I'm not alone.

UPDATE #2: Juan Cole writes that we've succeeded in making Saddam a martyr.






(Photo credit: Iraqi television via Associated Press)

No comments: