Dec 30, 2006

I've been tagged!

Fellow BARBARian colleague MrGumby2U tagged me with the following meme, and I am more than happy to oblige.

So it goes:

· Find the nearest book
· Name the book
· The author
· Turn to page 123
· Go to the fifth sentence on the page
· Copy out the next three sentences and post to your blog.
· Tag three more folks.

It just so happens that I have a new copy of Vice magazine’s book “Do’s & Don’ts: 10 years of Vice magazine’s street fashion critiques” by Suroosh Alvi, Gavin McInnes and Shane Smith.

Yes, I am tragically hip. And Brion, the friend who gave this book to me, is even hipper than I. Fear us.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with Vice, it’s a Montreal-based publication. And it’s free. I first saw it many years ago at some snobby shoe shop in SoHo but never gave it much thought until Brion brought it up a few months ago. Each issue has a theme that they explore, such as bizarre cults, poverty, immersionism, bullshit, and obsessions, just to name a few. And they have this recurring feature, called “Do’s & Don’ts” in which they take photographs of people off the street and provide commentary on the subject’s stylishness, dorkyness, hotness, or some combination of the above. And from there, the laughs ensue.

So now they’ve compiled these into a book, which is the book I’ve chosen for today’s meme-fest.

However, in the interest of full disclosure, I have to say I’m taking a bit of artistic license with this one, because:

a) The book isn’t exactly arranged in paragraph form,
b) I didn’t really like the fifth sentence,
c) The photo attached to the caption I did choose is funnier, and
d) Work with me here, people.

Without further adieu, the “fifth sentence” (from page 124):
The only thing that dresses worse than a teenager is a middle-aged rich guy. He’s got the trophy wife and the Radiohead CD, but most importantly he’s got his trademark “hope I die ‘fore I get old” leather pants.
Now, this caption, in and of itself, is only mildly amusing, I will admit. But when you look at the accompanying picture:



You, the ever astute reader, may notice a slight resemblance (okay, maybe if you squint and shake your head a little) to our beloved John Aravosis of AMERICAblog...



... whom we love and visit daily (the blog, not John Aravosis), and whom we are sure has way better fashion sense than the gentleman in this picture, Jah bless him.

Anyhoo. There it is.

So, whom to tag next? I hereby anoint:
· Jonsey of Jones of the Nile
· Laurie at Defiance
· Kenneth at All Bleeding Stops Eventually




(Photo of John Aravosis courtesy of Bart Nagel Photography. Photo of man and trophy wife courtesy of Vice.)

1 comment:

Stephen Green said...

Nicely done. You are now relieved of all obligation to this meme. Go in peace.