Feb 4, 2007

Sunday Night Flamenco Blogging

I had my first Flamenco show tonight. All day, I had been so nervous about it. Wanting-to-vomit-I'm-so-nervous style. What if I missed a step? What if I fell on my ass during my first turn? All these 'what ifs" running through my mind.

As a child, I had a history of performing; tap dancing, jazz and piano. State competitions and stuff. This should be old hat to me, right?

But I have so much respect for this art form, this gypsy dance, this song of the outcasts, that I wanted to make sure I did it justice.

I managed to pull it off, thank Jah. I did mess up a few times, but I don't really think anyone in the audience really noticed. And now I am more sure than ever that I've found the creative outlet that I've been searching for. I have another show at the end of the month, and I'm really excited about it.

Oh yeah, and I think I'm supposed to come up with a stage name. Because all of you who know my real name know that it isn't exactly ... Spanish-y. Any and all suggestions welcome. I feel weird making up my own Flamenco nickname. It's totally awkward saying, "hey, call me this!" But you know, whatever. All in the name of art or something.


I.M. Dedd said...

That is extremely cool.

Adobo said...

Congrats!! Hmm my suggestion... The closest I can think of to your name would be "Magadia de Lucia". ie. Luzon-get it? Was the show videotaped? If so, would we have the honor to see yr awesome performance on youtube? ;-)

Mags said...

Dead Guy: Thanks! It's nice to be able to tap into your obsessions.

Adobo: Heh. I am *so* not putting my dancing up on You Tube.

Kvatch said...

I had my first Flamenco show tonight.

How incredibly cool! Congratulations!

contratiempo said...

I'd love to see you perform when I'm in the Bay Area!