Sep 7, 2005

Liberal compassion

I don't know if you could tell from my last post, but I am a little upset as a result of a heated political discussion I got into yesterday with a friend of mine (who is a conservative and a Bush supporter). I just had to reproduce this passage from Amy Sullivan's guest article in The Washington Monthly [emphasis mine]. I urge you to read the post, as well as the Joan Walsh article in Salon that Sullivan references.

We've heard the warning "this isn't about politics" over and over in the last few days. The hell it isn't. And I don't mean kicking Bush while he's down, just for the fun of it, although there are surely liberals eager to do that. For the rest of us, however, we're seeing the awful real world consequences of conservatism play out on our television screens. This is why we're liberals. We don't yell about poverty and racial disparities for kicks.

An evacuation plan that consists of telling people to get out on their own is NOT an evacuation plan.


I hope that this gives people on the other side a little more perspective on where I'm coming from, because I've had it with trying to explain myself.

No comments: